You can contact me via email

Lipglossandslippers@gmail.com

Thursday 29 June 2017

Mammy Monday : Our Positive Breastfeeding Journey

I thought I'd never in a million years breastfeed, I thought 1. I was too much of a prude and 2. Why should I do all the night feeds. As soon as I found out I was pregnant  on my first daughter I knew it was what I wanted to do.
 
I always looked on it with an open mind. I'd give it a go if it worked out it worked out if not there's nothing wrong with formula. Luckily for us we took to it like ducks to water!
The first few weeks were the hardest, Lauren fed almost constantly. Which led to a lot of discomfort. But once she got the supply up it was plain sailing. I am so lucky, I've never had any problems and have for the most part enjoyed the experience. 
 
I naively went into this journey thinking I was in charge lol how wrong was I! I had first said 12 weeks that's it we'll be done breastfeeding by then, wrong! Oh when she has teeth I'll stop nope wrong again, we ended up feeding until my first was 16 months old and my second was 5/6 months old (we only stopped sue to a change in my circumstances not because I wanted to)
 
 
Now don't get me wrong I enjoyed every day (almost) I've learned a lot on this road and the main thing I've learned is that I wanted to make my daughters happy as they are my number one concern.
 
 
I used to get asked a lot when would I stop breastfeeding and I used to have the answer, I used to have a time frame, but then I decided that all that was important wasn't what anyone else wanted but truly that my only concern was that my child's emotional and nutritional needs were being met, and not to be worrying about what "Mary" from down the road thought or anyone for that matter!
 
 I mean no one would ever ask the mother of a 10 month old when they were taking the bottle from them or when they would stop formula! I just wish the same respect could be given to breastfeeding mothers too. No one really has the intentions of breastfeeding a child until they are 16 lol but when they are still a baby its completely normal and I'm saying well done mama if you have fed your child till they are way past the baby stage and fair play to you for doing what is right for your family. Its a hard road so give yourself a well deserved pat on the back.
 
It's been a mostly positive journey for me,  I've met loads of breastfeeding mammies who can advise me and me them. I had no problems feeding her in public but that's been mainly thanks to my nursing cover, it's been the best €30 I've ever spent. I'd highly recommend buying one, especially for when you are out or you have visitors that you aren't 100% comfortable whipping your boobs out in front of ha ha ha.  I got mine in boots similar to this one here Boots don't seem to stock them on their website so that's a link to Bella Baby who are a fantastic baby shop.
 
 
If you pregnant and thinking of breastfeeding my advice is do your research, have an idea what to expect but for the most part just relax you'll be amazed at how much they teeny tiny person might already know. There are loads of support groups on facebook and in the community. At the time I attended a class which was organised by the public health nurses in my area so check that out, ask when the come to visit when you get out of hospital. Ask your own mam or a friend if they breast fed. Also have a back up plan, what will I do if it doesn't work for us. There are also lactation consultants in the maternity hospitals, so just ask for help.
 
I did use a pump for times when I was away from the babies or wanted to attempt bottles (which my first daughter point blank refused and she ended up never having a bottle.) I would say wait until you know if its going to work out for you or not before purchasing one as they are quite expensive, don't throw your money away. And for the first couple of weeks anyway you wont use one as you and baby will be getting used to things yourselves.
 
I'm not an expert by any means, but I found the following items really helped me :
 
An absolute essential : Multi Mam Compresses
Nursing Pads: I used both disposable (these were my favs) and the reusable ones which were so soft. I was given mine as a gift but there are loads of places online where you can buy some and boots have some here
Nipple Cream :) this was the one I used
Nursing cover as I mentioned above.
 
So like I say, I'm by no means an expert, far from it, I'm just a mammy who has a positive breast feeding story. Try relax, go into it with an open mind and remember, once your childs emotional needs and nutritional needs are being met that's all that matters and that can be achieved by breast or bottle or both.
 
Lots of Love
 
Donna
XXX 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment